Monday, November 8, 2010

Soft Spot

   Today I toured Governor Bellingham's house with Arthur Dimmsdale. While we were walking through the house, little Pearl appeared. She was dressed in fine clothing and looked like a scarlet bird of some sort. When the other men discovered her name was Pearl, they chided at her, and stated she should have been named Ruby or Coral. Finally the Governor addressed Hester. Apparently there has been some debate over rather Hester should be allowed to take care of Pearl.
   Hester claimed, "I can teach my little Pearl what I have learned from this!" (pg172) Psshhhh yea right, the only thing Pearl can learn from that is how to not follow the rules. Governor Bellingham then asked Pearl who made her. The girl believed she "had been plucked by her mother off the wild roses, that grew by the prison-door." (174) My oh my! After Pearl made her announcement I leaned down and whispered, "The girl can't even say who made her. Surely Hester doesn't deserve to keep her unmoral child," to the minister. The minister's entire composition changed. He grew uglier and darker than ever. Hester made some speech about how God gave her Pearl and that she is reminder of her sins... blah, blah, blah. Dimmsdale then defends Hester and that she should be able to keep Pearl. Dimmsdale's reaction show that he has a soft spot for Hester. I never mentioned this, but while Hester was on the scaffold and was asked who her lover was, Dimmsdale held his hand over his heart the whole time! I might just be getting somewhere...

No comments:

Post a Comment